Monday, January 17, 2011

"The Dream of the '90's is alive......" maybe 1950s: Gen X: 1990s: the Millenium Generation

Even though the new Portlandia show professes that the dream of the '90's is alive in Portland, OR, I believe this ideal was ready to resurface long ago. I've heard lots of baby boomers reflect on the glory days of the 1950's when cars arrived, soda fountains were still open and people were more neighborly with each other. We do like to relive the days which were harmonious and prolific.

I remember one summer, three male friends and I were using the empty OSU cafeteria kitchen to make our breakfast of masala potatoes and my mum's semi-elephant ear recipe of a cinnamon and sugar tortilla. Somehow, the four of us all came to the conclusion that we wanted to take a 1990's class since our colleges offered the '60s revolution class or some other time capsule related course. The 1990's seemed perfect to learn about because we remembered in and it was a damn good time.
No arguments for me there. In the 1990's, my family was quite well to do, my mother stayed at home and raised us.  I remember having a couple pairs of doc martens, saw men wearing bold and flowy shirts, everyone was doing the macarena, my younger sisters were born and would grow up addicted to technology, girl power and all of this was interspersed with Pearl Jam, Beck, REM, En Vogue, Enigma and the Spice girls. I lived in Europe for six years of the 90s, but when we moved back to the US, we had kept up on similar trends, and now I was just learning about Britney Spears' first album and that Madonna wanted to become more tribal.
Currently, Britney Spears has a um, different image and Madonna also inspires episodes of "Glee." And we are slowly moving out of our 80's fashion phase by mixing it with early 90's styles of clothing. Plus, piercing is back in full force, the college age to mid 20 somethings are now thinking it looks cool again. My sister, a 90's born child and fashion plate, came back from college with a nose ring, which I want now.  And my other friends have gotten belly and ear cartilage piercings too. So I am going to focus a bit of time to the 1990's since I am being bombarded with it lately, due to my boyfriend lecturing me about Buffy the Vampire slayer feminism from the PSU class he's taken and more movies  coming out using the 90's as a period piece.

And I know that that you are quite aware that the 1990's are back, because I bet you watched Disney movies and "Boondock Saints" in your dorm if you were in college the past ten years.

For your viewing pleasure:


No comments:

Post a Comment